Lost job, 401K decision....what to do?

Started by Kimberly B.
Followed by: @Sabrina @Armonie @Carmen @Heather @krystal @Stephen @Lashanda @Michelle @Elena @Edward @Jaymar @Melora @Amonte @Brian @Luz @Joshua @Adriana @Tina @Priscilla @Kassandra @Tabitha @Angela @Gobby @Kristen @Theresa @Elaine @Suzanna @Maria @Katie @Angela @Shannon @Daisia @Amanda @Edwina @Stephanie @Lashonda @Misty @Tia @Tim @Patricia @JOHN @Jessica @Ronald @Ashley @KIMBERLY @Juliann @Yajaira @Yvonne @This @Megan @Rosa @Ninna @"Sherrie D" @Monica @Donald @Ashley @Denise @Shaira @Destiny @Esequiel @Summer @Donna @Christine @Kevin @Mindy @Deborah @Taylor @Chrissy @Neosha @Brittany @Kiara @Bobbie @Autumn @Tracy @Destiny @Kassidy @Ashly @Shamika @Erica @angel @Amber @Shalanda @Travis @Melissa @Veronica @Marquita @April @Crystal @Eva @Jessica @Lisette @Cherrie @Elizabeth @Luis @Christy @Crystal @Kirsten @"Lisa AKA Smallz" @Melissa @Scott @Ohsha @Melody @Nikita @Yshaunda @Brittany @Denishia @Lakisha @April @Takeshia @Thomasina @Jessica @Joanne @SABRINA @Felicia @Paula @Jeremy @Lisa @Marlissa @Chrystal @Willie @Kimie @Lisa @Arendena @Jennifer @william @Jessica @andrea @Samanthia @Lorie @Charity @Kristina @Dawn @Alicia @Lashonda @Timneshia @Angela @ALEXIS @Alicia @Ericka @Angel @Cathy @Tori @Celeste @Roberta @Lanna @Katie @Christy @Shalanda @Leonel @Nicole @Ashley @Amy @Michael @Aaron @Andrew @Laura @Amy @Daymarelis @myeska @Lisa @Ronesha @Michelle @melissa @Emily @Kristine @Alyssa @ashley @KRISTIN @Eddie @Petronella @Pay @Rendi @Lirik @Jennifer
K

Kimberly B.

I recently lost my job due to my attendance that involved missing days due to COVID and having a family member that suffers from MS, diabetes, and other inflicting health issues, who needed my care on a few days. Regardless, this now means I am unable to get unemployment benefits and now have a decision to choose for my 401K. Due to the amount being over $1,000, but less than $5,000 I can either cash out the amount or roll over the amount into the IRA selected by the plans sponsor. I have had money saved, but my savings are dwindling, and the money right now would take a lot of stress off me. I also don't want to lose the 20% of federal taxes, 1% of state income tax plus the additional 10% income tax due to early distributions. If I have my information correct from my last statement, will show that either I roll over to an IRA with $1220.00 or cash out with fees taken of about $842. $400 down the drain? I honestly don't know very much about any of this and could use some advice. Reading about it online is confusing me a little more each time I try to get a bit of a grip on what I'm really doing with my money.

Add a post