How does Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) work?

Are you over the age of 60 looking for free help with your taxes? If so, consider taking advantage of an IRS program called The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program. This program partners with a variety of organizations, like AARP, to offer free tax assistance for those 60 and over (no income eligibility).

The IRS offers the TCE program during regular tax season, which typically runs from January 1 to April 15, although some participating organizations may continue the program for longer. The volunteers that help you with your taxes are trained by the IRS to answer questions about retirement-related issues unique to seniors. Many volunteers are retired professionals.

The AARP Tax-Aid program runs the majority of the TCE Sites, although various nonprofits and charities have TCE sites. Many sites have language specialists to help those whose primary language is not English.

What TCE Sites Can Help With

In general, TCE sites can prepare basic state and federal tax returns. Some sites not be able to help with the following income, expenses, or credits:

  • Schedule K-1 income (reported on forms 1065, 1120S, and 1041)
  • Sale of home (reported on Form 1099-S)
  • Cancellation of debt (reported on form 1099-C)
  • International returns

Typically, TCE sites cannot help with complicated returns, including:

  • Self-employment income with an overall loss to report, more than $25,000 in expenses, or deductions for depreciation or business use of the home
  • Complex capital gains or losses, or when cost basis is not reported
  • Oil and gas royalties
  • Rental income and expenses – some sites certified for military returns can do these for military personnel only
  • Other forms for complex tax concerns

Finding a TCE Site Near You

Some TCE sites take appointments, while others operate on a walk-in basis only. To find a location near you, call 800-906-9887 or for the AARP Tax-Aide site, call 1-888-227-7669. You can also search for a TCE site using the IRS Free Tax Prep website or the AARP Tax-Aide Site Locator.

Make sure you read the IRS’s recommendations for what to bring when you visit a TCE site.

Consider taking full advantage of programs like TCE and VITA for help completing your tax return!

Recommended Articles

What’s your money style?

Hi, I’m Saundra Davis, SaverLife’s financial coach. Today we’re going to talk a little bit about our money personalities or our money style. Are you a spender, saver, or planner? Our approach to saving or spending really is rooted in the foundation of how we live with our money in our individual personality. Some of us are savers. Some of… Read more

What do I need to apply for Marketplace insurance?

You need some basic information to start the Open Enrollment process. First, you need to provide information about your household, including household size (including anyone you claim on your tax return). For each of these people, you need some basic information like birth dates, home addresses, and social security numbers. Additionally, you’ll need information about… Read more

How to Get the Best Rate on a Loan

If you need money for the short or long term, it’s important to remember that not all loans are created equal – and the price you pay for that money (in fees and interest) may vary dramatically. What do you need? Before shopping around for loans, you should know how much money you’re looking to… Read more