The 4 Most Common Tax Errors You Should Watch Out For

It would be nice if we could have a simpler way to meet our tax obligations. But this is the system we have, and unfortunately errors are quite common. Let’s review some common errors that you should look out for.

1. Data Entry Errors

The IRS provides a list of common errors. The most common issue is data entry errors, such as:

  • inputting the wrong social security number
  • entering incorrect W-2 info
  • spelling a name wrong

Some of these will be rejected immediately if you’re filing electronically. Some won’t. If it passes through the initial screening, maybe your return will never be right, or maybe it will be flagged later. This can take weeks or months to fix. Perhaps the worst of the data entry errors is to put the wrong bank account number for a direct deposit. So be attentive when entering data into your tax software!

2. Choosing the Wrong Filing Status

The five filing statuses are:

  • Single
  • Head of Household
  • Qualifying Widow(er)
  • Married Filing Jointly
  • Married Filing Separately

Filing correctly ensures you aren’t making a mistake that may cost thousands of dollars. There are cases when someone can be married and file as Head of Household, but the requirements are very specific. If you’re married and don’t meet those requirements, you must file either Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separate.

3. Incorrect Deductions

A friend may tell you that you can deduct something, and either you or they misunderstand the deduction. But somehow you make it fit into the tax software.

I had a client who deducted her car purchase ($27,000) as an itemized deduction because someone told her she could. She wasn’t self employed or a business owner. There is a case that if you itemize and if you claim sales tax as a deduction instead of income taxes paid that you may be able to add the sales taxes paid for a car purchase to your sales tax deduction. That is two “ifs” and a “may,” and even so, it isn’t the whole car purchase. My client owed the IRS over $2,000, plus penalties and interest. If a deduction sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you don’t understand the questions the software is asking or it doesn’t look right, then it’s time to look for professional help.

4. Mistakenly Claiming or Not Claiming a Dependent

This one can be complicated. It comes up often when parents aren’t married. But there are many other situations that involve this error as well. Read more about when you can claim someone as a dependent. For more help, check out the IRS’s Interactive Tax Assistant.

I’ve covered four common types of errors, but there are many more possible errors. You can avoid them by making sure you or your tax professional are focused and careful in your tax return preparation.

Take Charge of Your Savings
Earn rewards for creating a brighter future
Sign up to save more

Recommended Articles

An Update on Unemployment and Taxes: Your Questions Answered

We know that many of you have burning questions about unemployment benefits, including how they affect taxes and how they relate to the American Rescue Plan. Here are answers to some of the questions you’ve asked. What Does the American Rescue Plan Do for Me if I’m Unemployed? If you lost your job during the… Read more

Make a Powerful Plan for Your Tax Refund & Stimulus Check

We are in the thick of tax season, and the House recently approved a new stimulus bill. This is great news for many people, especially considering the average tax refund is around $2,500, and the expected stimulus check for a four-person household is up to $5,600. If you missed a previous stimulus payment, filing taxes… Read more

What Is Adjusted Gross Income?

It’s that time of year when you hear tax terms being tossed around, whether on the news, at work by the HR Department, or over coffee with friends. But what exactly do all these terms mean? A commonly used term is Adjusted Gross Income or AGI. What is AGI, and how do you calculate it?… Read more