Maximize Your Money at Tax Time
This tax season, we want to make sure you receive every dollar you deserve. That’s why we’re sharing tax filing resources that are 100% FREE for you. Browse our one-stop guide to master tax time and make it your bonus season.
We will continue to update this guide as more resources become available, so make sure to bookmark it.
Tax Time Pledge
Be entered to win $50 instantly by pledging to save some of your tax refund – we’re giving away $20,000 through the end of March. Expert studies show that just by pledging, you’re more likely to save so pledge today!
- Jan. 24 – When the IRS will start processing tax returns filed in 2022
- April 18 – Deadline to file your tax return
- Possible delays in 2022: Your tax return could be delayed this year. File as early as possible, and check the status of your refund using Where’s My Refund and IRS2go app.
New for 2022
Timely Tax Tips
Tax Filing Tips
- How do I know if I should file taxes online or get help from a tax preparer?
- How do I safely find and pick a tax preparer or online tax software?
- How to get legal help this tax season
- 5 Ways to make sure your tax return is processed ASAP
- Operation Hidden Treasure: Cryptocurrency and taxes
- What Should I do with an IRS Letter?
- How to fix your tax return after making a tax filing mistake
- Tax Tips for Gig Workers and Self-Employed Taxpayers
- When can I deduct travel expenses on my federal tax return?
- Avoid tax scams and overcome identity theft this tax season
- What to do when you didn’t receive your tax refund
Earned Income Tax Credit & Recovery Rebate Credit Tips
Child Tax Credit Tips
- NEW – What if Letter 6419 or IRS records don’t match what I received for Child Tax Credit payments?
- 2021 Changes to Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit
- What should I do if my Advance Child Tax Credit Payments were Wrong?
- Tax Tips: Someone else received my dependent’s Child Tax Credit
- What to do when the IRS sends you Letter 6419
- How the Child Tax Credit will affect your tax return
Guide to Filing Taxes as an Independent Contractor
How do tax write-offs work?
Can I file taxes if my income was only SS and SSI?
How does Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) work?
Is it Better for My Credit to Pay off Debt Slowly or All at Once?
How Does Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) work?
VITA: A Free Way to Get Help With Your Taxes
Get Tax Filing Help
Tax Time Allies connects you with IRS-certified volunteers who provide free help with basic income tax return preparation to qualified individuals through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs.
Stay Alert for Fraud & Scams During Tax Time
Many people receive a lot of money in their tax refund. Unfortunately, scammers know this and often try to take advantage of people during this time. It’s important to be vigilant and know what to expect during tax time so you stay one step ahead.
- Be extremely careful about what you share on social media related to your taxes and make sure you’re going to official sources like the IRS website to get information. The IRS’s Taxpayer Advocate Service is a great resource to find reputable tax information and tips.
- There are some common scams that we often see related to tax time. Read more on tips on how to recognize a tax scam and what to keep an eye out for.